Category Archives: Food
Every photo doesn’t have be polished! #GupteKitchen
Grilled Thai Chicken with salad and vegetable rice
When my wife bakes love for me..
Recipe: Pita Pan Pizza (15 mins only)
Dubai is all about options & variety. But in this abundance, I’ve struggled to find freshly baked pizza bases. You will find the frozen ones, but I’m not a fan. In the bakery section, what came closest was the flat, Egyptian pita bread. My only worry was if it would stand another round of baking or end up like a crisp tortilla. But how would I know without trying?
- Pita bread (pack of 4)
- Tandoori or Shredded chicken (or leftover tikkas or other meat)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato ketchup
- Sliced onions, capsicum & tomatoes
- Oregaon, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Apply butter to both sides of the pita bread. Continue reading Recipe: Pita Pan Pizza (15 mins only)
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Salsa Sandwich
This is probably the laziest sandwiches I’ve ever made. Honestly, typing & formatting the entire recipe will take longer than it takes to make it.
- Shredded some left over grill chicken, and mixed it with mayo, salsa and black pepper.
- Sliced some lettuce & half an onion.
- Buttered brown bread on both sides, and assembled as shown. You can add more veggies and cheese as you’d like
- Put it into the griller for 6-8 mins until it toasted
Recipe: Chicken Mayo Sandwich
- Slice some lettuce & tomatoes
- Mix together mayo, milk (to reduce the fat footprint), shredded chicken & black pepper
- Assemble on bread or finger rolls
Recipe: Dahi Sev Puri
I love my sev puri crunchy. The trick I learned from my regular bhaiya was to add a layer of sev right after the potatoes so keep the base crunchy, and avoid sogginess once the chutney’s are added. Hope you enjoy it. Takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare.
- Papdi puri
- Mashed potatoes (I literally use instant mashed potato)
- Nylon sev
- Chopped onions, tomatoes, corriander
- Chana dal
- Tamarind chutney
- Chili chutney (or Maggi Hot & Sweet sauce)
- Yoghurt (whipped, sweetened)
- Chat masala, salt
- Lay the puris on a flat plate and top up ingredients in the mentioned order
- Garnish with nylon sev and corriander
Staying healthy onboard
2 years of reckless travel had a big impact on my eating habits. I realized that I had to reduce my intake of carbs, protein & fat. Long flights serving 3 meals seemed like a low-hanging fruit. Without wasting time, I started experimenting with the various dietary meal options that most airlines offer – provided the request is placed 24 hours before the flight.
At first I switched to a fat free meal, which avoided gluten in the preparation and served fruits in lieu of an unhealthy dessert option. Together with this, I consciously reduced cola & soda intake and switched to juices or just plain water – lots of it. I refrained from all snacks, peanuts especially. But the meal still served a chunk Continue reading Staying healthy onboard
Recipe: Baked chapatti rolls with chicken & veggies
Every relation demands trade-off & adjustment. It is nearly impossible to find harmony in all choices. Aditi & I also took a hit on compatibility in some areas – food was one. I am a complete foodie, and she’s a great cook. I love chicken & chapattis, while she loves fish & rice. But when I cook, I try to make things that will go past her choices. Like all kids who hate plain chapattis, she loved the variation of baked rolls with chicken, cheese & veggies.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Tomato ketchup
- Chilli powder
- Chat masala
- Salt, to taste
- 6 Chicken tandoori kebabs (or shredded chicken) – or replace with cottage cheese (paneer) for a veggie version
- 4 chapattis
- Cheese – grated mozzarella & slices for topping
- Heat some butter in a pan, and place garlic cloves
- Add all vegetables, tomato ketchup and salt to taste
- Saute vegetables until cooked
Assembling the rolls
- Butter both sides of each chapatti
- Place the vegetable stuffing at the center, and top with chicken or paneer
- Grate mozzarella cheese, sprinkle oregano/chat masala to taste
- Roll ’em up, and place cheese slices on top for an extra cheesy taste
Continue reading Recipe: Baked chapatti rolls with chicken & veggies