Baked Beans is my favorite part of a continental breakfast. The canned version with haricot beans is easily available in hyper marts and is very close to the original. I had no clue of where to find haricot, so I went ahead with kidney beans. Here is the recipe.
- Kidney beans, 200 gms
- Onions, 2
- Blanched tomato puree or just ketchup
- Honey, 2 tsp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cooking oil, olive or any other vegetable oil
- Garlic cloves, 2
1. Soak the beans overnight
2. Rinse the beans and boil in a pressure cooker until soft. Kidney beans take longer than other pulses so boiling on the flame could take ages.
3. Place some oil in a frying pan. Add garlic cloves & onions and fry until brown. Tip: If using olive oil, don’t wait too long to heat the oil.
4. Add the blanched tomato puree (or ketchup) and honey and let it cook for 4 minutes on medium flame. Tip: if using ketchup, add some extra honey to beat the tangy-ness that the ketchup brings.
5. Add salt & pepper to your taste.
6. Pre-heat the oven (use convection on the microwave) at 200c.
7. Pour the mixture in a baking dish and bake in the oven at 200c for 40-60 mins (depending on the beans, until they’re soft)