When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam. When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company,…
When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to “open” the Nehruvian economy.
It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will…
Narendra Wagh’s Buzz
“Commit all your crimes to God when Sachin is batting
They will go unnoticed because God is busy watching him”
SMS from Jayesh Katariya
Achievements & Honors
- Highest Run scorer in the ODI
- Most number of hundreds in the ODI 41
- Most number of nineties in the ODI
- Most number of man of the matches(56) in the ODI’s
- Most number of man of the series(14) in ODI’s
- Best average for man of the matches in ODI’s
- First Cricketer to pass 10000 run in the ODI
- First Cricketer to pass 15000 run in the ODI
- Sachin is the highest run scorer in the world cup (1,796 at an average of 59.87 as on 20 March 2007 )
- Most number of the man of the matches in the world cup
- Most number of runs 1996 world cup 523 runs in the 1996 Cricket World Cup at an average of 87.16
- Most number of runs in the 2003 world cup 673 runs in 2003 Cricket World Cup, highest by any player in a single Cricket World Cup
- He was Player of the World Cup Tournament in the 2003 Cricket World Cup.
Most number of Fifties in ODI’s 87
- Appeared in Most Number of ODI’s 407
- Sachin is the only player to be in top 10 ICC ranking for 10 years.
- Most number of 100’s in test’s 38
- Sachin is one of the three batsmen to surpass 11,000 runs in Test cricket, and the first Indian to do so
- Sachin is thus far the only cricketer to receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India ‘S highest sporting honor
- In 2003, Wisden rated Tendulkar as d No. 1 and Richards at No. 2 in all time Greatest ODI player
- In 2002, Wisden rated him as the second greatest Test batsman after Sir Donald Bradman.
- Sachin was involved in unbroken 664-run partnership in a Harris Shield game in 1988 with friend and team mate Vinod Kambli,
- Sachin Tendulkar is the only player to score a century in all three of his Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Irani Trophy debuts
- In 1992, at the age of 19, Tendulkar became the first overseas born player to represent Yorkshire
- Sachin Tendulkar has been granted the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award and Padma Shri by Indian government. He is the only Indian cricketer to get all of them.
- Sachin Tendulkar has scored over 1000 runs in a calendar year in ODI’s 7 times
- Sachin Tendulkar has scored 1894 runs in calendar year in ODI’s most by any batsman
- Sachin is the highest earning cricketer in the world
- Sachin has the least percentage of the man of the matches awards won when team loses a match.. Out of his 56 man of the match awards only 5 times India has lost.
- Sachin Tendulkar most number man of match awards(10) against Australia
In August of 2003, Sachin Tendulkar was voted as the “Greatest Sportsman” of the country in the sport personalities category in the Best of India poll conducted by Zee News.
- In November 2006, Time magazine named Tendulkar as one of the Asian Heroes.
- In December 2006, he was named “Sports person of the Year
- The current India Poised campaign run by The Times of India has nominated him as the Face of New India next to the likes of Amartya Sen and Mahatma Gandhi among others.
- Sachin Tendulkar was the first batsman in history to score over 50 centuries in international cricket
- Sachin Tendulkar was the first batsman in history to score over 75 centuries in international cricket:79 centuries
- Sachin Has the most overall runs in cricket, (ODIs+Tests+Twenty20s), as of 30 June 2007 he had accumulated almost 26,000 runs overall.
- Sachin Is second on the most number of runs in test cricket just after Brian Lara
- Sachin Tendulkar with Sourav Ganguly hold the world record for the maximum number of runs scored by the opening partnership. They have put together 6,271 runs in 128 matches
- The 20 century partnerships for opening pair with Sourav Ganguly is a world record
- Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid hold the world record for the highest partnership in ODI matches when they scored 331 runs against New Zealand in 1999
- Sachin Tendulkar has been involved in six 200 run partnerships in ODI matches – a record that he shares with Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid
- Most Centuries in a calendar year: 9 ODI centuries in 1998
- Only player to have over 100 innings of 50+ runs (41 Centuries and 87 Fifties)(as of 18th Nov, 2007 )
- Sachin the only player ever to cross the 13,000-14,000 and 15,000 run marks IN ODI.
- Highest individual score among Indian batsmen (186* against New Zealand at Hyderabad in 1999).
- The score of 186* is listed the fifth highest score recorded in ODI matches
Sachin Tendulkar has scored over 1000 ODI runs against all major Cricketing nations.
- Sachin was the fastest to reach 10,000 runs taking 259 innings and has the highest batting average among batsmen with over 10,000 ODI runs
- Most number of Stadium Appearances: 90 different Grounds
- Only Sachin ..Consecutive ODI Appearances: 185
- On his debut, Sachin Tendulkar was the second youngest debutant in the world
- When Tendulkar scored his maiden century in 1990, he was the second youngest to score a century
- Sachin Tendulkar’s record of five test centuries before he turned 20 is a current world record
- Sachin Tendulkar holds the current record (217 against NZ in 1999/00 Season) for the highest score in Test cricket by an Indian when captaining the side
- Sachin Tendulkar has scored centuries against all test playing nations. He was the third batman to achieve the distinction after Steve Waugh and Gary Kirsten
- Sachin Tendulkar has 4 seasons in test cricket with 1000 or more runs – 2002 (1392 runs), 1999 (1088 runs), 2001 (1003 runs) and 1997 (1000 runs).
- Gavaskar is the only other Indian with four seasons of 1000+ runs
- Sachin is second most number of seasons with over 1000 runs in world.
- On 3 January 2007 Sachin Tendulkar (5751) edged past Brian Lara’s (5736) world record of runs scored in Tests away from home
- Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara are the fastest to score 10,000 runs in Test cricket history. Both of them achieved this in 195 innings
- Sachin Second Indian after Sunil Gavaskar to make over 10,000 runs in Test matches
- Sachin Became the first Indian to surpass the 11,000 Test run mark and the third International player behind Allan Border and Brian Lara.
- Sachin Tendulkar is fourth on the list of players with most Test caps. Steve Waugh (168 Tests), Allan Border (158 Tests), Shane Warne (145 Tests) have appeared in more games than Tendulkar
- Sachin Tendulkar has played the most number of Test Matches(144) for India (Kapil Dev is second with 131 Test appearances).
- First to 25,000 international runs
- Sachin Tendulkar’s 25,016 runs in international cricket include 14,537 runs in ODI’s, 10,469 Tests runs and 10 runs in the lone Twenty20 that India has played.
- On December 10, 2005 , Tendulkar made his 35th century in Tests at Delhi against Sri Lanka . He surpassed Sunil Gavaskar’s record of 34 centuries to become the man with the most number of hundreds in Test cricket.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the only player who has 150 wkts and more than 15000 runs in ODI
- Sachin Tendulkar is the only player who has 40 wkts and more than 11000 runs in Tests
- Sachin Only batsman to have 100 hundreds in the first class cricket
Email from Abhay Joshi