Dubai is all about options & variety. But in this abundance, I’ve struggled to find freshly baked pizza bases. You will find the frozen ones, but I’m not a fan. In the bakery section, what came closest was the flat, Egyptian pita bread. My only worry was if it would stand another round of baking or end up like a crisp tortilla. But how would I know without trying?
- Pita bread (pack of 4)
- Tandoori or Shredded chicken (or leftover tikkas or other meat)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato ketchup
- Sliced onions, capsicum & tomatoes
- Oregaon, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Apply butter to both sides of the pita bread. Continue reading Recipe: Pita Pan Pizza (15 mins only)
This is probably the laziest sandwiches I’ve ever made. Honestly, typing & formatting the entire recipe will take longer than it takes to make it.
- Shredded some left over grill chicken, and mixed it with mayo, salsa and black pepper.
- Sliced some lettuce & half an onion.
- Buttered brown bread on both sides, and assembled as shown. You can add more veggies and cheese as you’d like
- Put it into the griller for 6-8 mins until it toasted
Every relation demands trade-off & adjustment. It is nearly impossible to find harmony in all choices. Aditi & I also took a hit on compatibility in some areas – food was one. I am a complete foodie, and she’s a great cook. I love chicken & chapattis, while she loves fish & rice. But when I cook, I try to make things that will go past her choices. Like all kids who hate plain chapattis, she loved the variation of baked rolls with chicken, cheese & veggies.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Tomato ketchup
- Chilli powder
- Chat masala
- Salt, to taste
- 6 Chicken tandoori kebabs (or shredded chicken) – or replace with cottage cheese (paneer) for a veggie version
- 4 chapattis
- Cheese – grated mozzarella & slices for topping
- Heat some butter in a pan, and place garlic cloves
- Add all vegetables, tomato ketchup and salt to taste
- Saute vegetables until cooked
Assembling the rolls
- Butter both sides of each chapatti
- Place the vegetable stuffing at the center, and top with chicken or paneer
- Grate mozzarella cheese, sprinkle oregano/chat masala to taste
- Roll ’em up, and place cheese slices on top for an extra cheesy taste
Continuing with recipes using shredded chicken as the key ingredient, here is another one that I was keen on trying.
- 8 slices of Multi-grain/Whole-wheat bread
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Egg, whipped
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 4 Cheese slices
- Olive Oil (or butter)
- Shredded chicken
- Barbecue sauce
- Mustard sauce
- Chili flakes
- Lemon juice
- Thyme (optional)
- Red wine (optional)
- Add Barbecue sauce, Mustard sauce, Pepper, Chili flakes, Lemon juice, and if available Red wine & Thyme to the shredded chicken. Leave it to marinate for an hour
- Heat some butter in a saucepan to saute the onions with garlic. Once cooked, add the chicken and mix well.
- Grease the baking tray and lay bread slices.
- Layer the chicken, tomato slices, cheese and sprinkle salt/pepper to taste. Cover the top with a slice.
- Add some milk, and beat the egg. Pour this over the top slice.
- Place the tray in an oven, and bake at 375′ for 30 mins.
In an earlier recipe, I mentioned my plans to write a cookbook, exclusive to recipes using shredded chicken as the key ingredient. This post is chapter 1: “Preparing your key ingredient“. As simple as it sounds, boiling chicken is an art. The trick is to cook the chicken without leaving it too dry. And here is how:
- Take enough water in a large vessel to fit the chicken pieces and bring it to boil – WITHOUT the chicken
- Cut the chicken breasts (or other pieces) into sizable chunks
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the flame & drop the chicken pieces into the vessel
- While the chicken boils, keep skimming the foamy protein that floats on the top (as shown below)
I usually don’t spend money on vegetarian food, so I have never tried the much publicized Potato Wedges at McDonalds. But this time around, the advertisements got me in to trying Chicken McNuggets (that were part of my dinner tonight). Continue reading Chicken McNuggets @ McDonalds